Make a bird nest salad with lettuce leaves and carrots for the nest and cream cheese for the eggs.
What You Need
- 1 small mixing bowl
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 oz. low-fat cream cheese softened at room temperature (use the type that comes in a block)
- 2 drops of blue food coloring (optional)
- 4–6 large lettuce leaves, thoroughly washed
- 2 salad plates
- Salad dressing of your choice
What You Do
- Prepare Carrots
If you don’t have pre-packaged shredded carrots, wash a few large carrots and use a grater to shred them.
- Put Lettuce and Carrots on Plate
Place two or three lettuce leaves on each salad plate. Put half a cup of shredded carrots in the middle of each lettuce bed. Arrange the carrots into nest shapes.
- Make Bird “Eggs”
Put the cream cheese in the mixing bowl. Add two drops of blue food coloring and mix until the color is consistent. (Note: This last step is optional.) Scoop one-half teaspoonful of blue cream cheese and roll it between your palms to form an egg shape. Place three eggs in each nest, drizzle the “nest” with your favorite salad dressing, and enjoy lunch with your hungry fledgling!