Put on your own show with a few caterpillar sock puppets!
What You Need
- Scraps of colored felt
- Tacky glue
- Pipe cleaners
- Craft pom-poms
- Long sock
What You Do
- Make the Caterpillar’s Mouth
- Cut out an oval mouth from a piece of colored felt (about the size of the sock foot). Glue the oval onto the toe end of the sock. Let it dry completely.
- Slip the sock onto your hand. Bend the oval in half to make a “talking” mouth.
- Make the Caterpillar’s Eyes
Use felt scraps to cut out circles for the eyes. Glue them on the top of the foot of the puppet.
- Make the Caterpillar’s Legs
For each leg, glue two pom-poms of different colors together, and let dry. Then glue the legs onto the sock, as seen, and let them dry completely.
- Add Other Features
Here are some optional add-ons you can make for your caterpillar:
- Spots: Cut 4 pipe cleaners into about 20 short pieces. Roll each piece into a tight coil. Glue these on and let dry.
- Stripes: Cut out thin strips of colored felt and glue them in place.
- Antennae: You can use a single pipe cleaner or twist together two different colored pipe cleaners together, as shown. Bend the antennae into a V-shape and then flatten the “V” in the middle. Then glue them onto the puppet’s head.
Craft created by Robin Walker.