This little pelican floats on a cork in a bowl of blue water.
What You Need
- Wine bottle cork
- Blue food coloring
- Sheet of sturdy white paper
- Pelican pattern
- Bowl of water
What You Do
- Download and Print the Pattern
Download and print the pelican pattern. Or have your child draw a pelican (about one and a half inches long) on sturdy white paper.
- Cut Out and Color Pelican
Cut out the pelican and color it on both sides with crayons. The wax from the crayons will waterproof the pelican.
- Slice Wine Cork and Insert Pelican
- Adults Only: Use a knife to slice the cork in half, lengthwise. (Set aside one cork half. You can use it to make a second pelican.) Lay the remaining cork half round-side up. In the center of the cork, cut a lengthwise slit. The slit should be long enough to fit the base of the pelican.
- Insert the pelican base into the slit.
- Place Pelican in Water
- Stir one drop of blue food coloring into a bowl of water.
- Place your pelican cork in the water and watch the little bird swim.