You’ll win over lots of hearts with a batch of these homemade Valentine cookies.
What You Need
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup of milk
- frosting (store-bought or make different colors with food coloring)
- heart-shaped cookie cutters
- decorations such as red hot candies or mini-chocolate chips for eyes, shredded wheat cereal for a lion’s mane, and licorice strips for whiskers or antennae
What You Do
- Make the Dough
- Combine the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the sugar, melted butter, and milk, then knead until well mixed.
- Form the dough into a soft ball and refrigerate for an hour.
- Roll the Dough
Spread the dough out with a rolling pin until it’s about 1/4 inch thick. (Add more flour if it’s too sticky.)
- Cut it Out!
Cut out heart shapes with your cookie cutters and arrange the hearts into cookie animals. You can copy the designs seen here or use your imagination to create any animal you like.
- Bake ‘Em!
Place them on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 10-12 minutes. (Ask an adult for help.) Remove the cookies from the baking sheet and let them cool completely.
Add frosting and decorations to make your cookies look like animals.Enjoy the oohs and aahs when you serve up a plateful of creatures!By Michele Reyzer; photos by Mark Godfrey