Avalanches are masses of snow that roar down steep slopes. You can learn more about them by making your own.
What You Need
- Piece of foam board
- Aluminum foil
- Small rocks
- Rolled oats
What You Do
- Construct Your “Hillside”
Use your materials to divide your piece of foam board into four sections:
- a slippery, “icy” part made of aluminum foil
- a “cliff” section made of rocks glued on in a row
- a section of “grasses” and “bushes” made of sandpaper
- a stony part made of small, glued-on rocks
- Make It “Snow”
Put the board down flat and made it “snow” by sprinkling layers of: flour, sugar, and rolled oats on it, layer by layer.
- Tilt Board
Slowly tilted the board up and watched for any sliding of the “snow.” Use a protractor to measure how steep the board was when the snow started to slide.