Dear Parents and Guardians:
You’ll find lots of interesting information about animals in every issue of Ranger Rick Jr. This month I encourage you to help your child extend the learning beyond the pages of the magazine.
Turn to page 2 and ask your child if she would like to:
- Make a drawing of a favorite animal from this month’s magazine.
- Paint three flat rocks to make a snowman to decorate the garden.
Then take a photo of your child’s artwork and submit it online at RangerRick.org/rickysmail. You can also mail a drawing to Ricky’s Mail: 11100 Wildlife Center Drive, Reston, VA 20190. Please include your child’s name, address, and age on the back of each drawing or photo.
Scattered throughout the pages of Ranger Rick Jr. you can find Quick Response Codes (QR Codes). When scanned by a smart phone, these codes take you to web pages with additional content for you and your child. (To scan a QR code, open the camera app on your phone and point it at the QR code. Then click, “Open.”) Scan the QR Codes on these pages:
- Page 2: See photos and drawings submitted by other children.
- Page 6: Watch a cheetah run.
- Page 11: Read about cheetahs in Spanish.
- Page 21: Watch a peacock fan out his fancy tail feathers.
- Page 29: Watch blue-footed boobies do a mating dance.
- Page 30: Learn how a giraffe uses its long neck.
I hope you and your family enjoy the December holidays.
¡Hola! Read about cheetahs from pages 6-11 in Spanish at RangerRick.org/CheetahSP
Mike Wilson, Founder
Prekindergarten Reading Encouragement Project
PREP – Helping childhood literacy one family at a time.