Use household supplies to make your own kite!
What You Need
- 6 straws
- roll of plastic table covering
- 60′ to 100′ of kite string
- shish-kebab skewer
- scissors, cellophane tape, and ruler
- paper towel tube
What You Do
- Build the Kite Body kite
1. Use the skewer to make a hole in the middle of one straw. Bend the tip of another straw and thread it through the hole to make the cross section of the kite.
2. Insert straws into the the cross pieces to create a 24” x 20” frame. Secure each straw joint with tape.
3. Poke a hole ¼” from the end of each cross piece. Thread a piece of string (65” long) through the four holes to make the kite’s frame. Knot the end and snip off extra string.
4. Lay the kite frame on the unrolled plastic and cut a sheet that is 1” bigger than the frame on all sides. Fold the plastic over the string frame and tape down.
- Attach the Tail and String
1. Poke a hole 2” from the end of the bottom cross piece. Thread a 24” piece of string through the hole and tie with a knot.
2. Cut 5 strips of plastic (10” x 1”). Tie them around the tail string, spacing them equal distance apart.
3. Poke holes 2” from the ends of the other cross pieces. Thread a 24” piece of string through the top and bottom holes. Tie at both ends, leaving some slack. Then thread a 20” piece of string through the left and right holes. Tie at both ends, leaving some slack.
4. Tie one end of the remaining string to the intersection of the two strings you just attached to the kite. Wrap the other end of the string around the paper towel tube.