Recipe by Michele Reyzer; Photos by Mark Godfrey
Show your dog a little extra love by baking a batch of these cookies!
What You Need
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of applesauce
- 1 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of water
- carob chips (optional; available at most health food stores)
- cookie cutters
- rolling pin
- cookie sheet
What You Do
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine the flour and oats in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the applesauce, honey or maple syrup, and water. Then knead until well mixed.
- Form the dough into a soft ball. Spread it out with a rolling pin until the dough is about 1/4 inch thick. (If it’s too sticky, you can add more flour.)
- Use your favorite cookie cutters to create fun shapes.
- Place the cookie shapes on a greased cookie sheet or one lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. (Ask an adult for help.) Let cookies cool completely.
- If you want, ask an adult to help you melt some carob chips. Then use a toothpick or small spoon to decorate the cookies with the melted carob.
CAUTION: Never feed chocolate to dogs. It can make them very sick. Carob is safe for dogs to eat—and most dogs love the taste!