Cool off in the summer with this easy recipe for homemade ice cream that really works.
What You Need
- ½ cup of half-and-half
- Crushed ice
- Three resealable plastic bags (2 pint size and 1 gallon size)
- ½ cup of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla
What You Do
- Pour Ingredients Into Small Plastic Bag
Pour the half-and-half, vanilla and sugar into the small plastic bag. Seal the bag very carefully and then place it inside of the other small bag. (Double bagging makes sure that no salt gets in and that no mess is made.)
- Put Ice and Salt in Large Plastic Bag
Fill the large plastic bag about half full with crushed ice. Pour the salt over the ice.
- Put Small Bag Into Large Bag
Put the small bag into the large bag and seal it tightly. (Be sure to explain to your child that the salt will help the ice stay very cold so the cream will freeze faster.)
- Shake Bag
Have your child turn the bag over and over. Squeeze it, shake it, turn it upside down – just keep it moving! (Moving the bag keeps the ice crystals from forming all in one place.)
- Eat and Enjoy
If the bag gets too cold to handle, break out those winter mittens. After ten minutes, the ice cream should be ready to eat right out of the bag. For a special treat, add some crushed strawberries.
- Note: This recipe is for a single serving. You may also try to substitute a little whipping cream for some of the half-and-half to make it creamier.