Recycle sheer curtains for a mosquito-free outdoor hide-away.
What You Need
- Binder clips, very large size, 10-12
- Duct tape (if you need to make the hoop from a tent pole)
- Hoop, such as a hula hoop or taped plastic tent pole
- Rubber mallet or hammer for pounding in tent pegs
- Sheer curtains – the larger, the better
- Tent pegs – 4-5
What You Do
- Create a hoop shape
Either use a hula hoop, or take a flexible pole such as a tent pole and tape it into a circle with duct tape.
- Sew the curtains together so they are a large tube
We found our curtains at a yard sale for $2. It is a common item at yard sales and secondhand stores.
Leave 2-3 feet of one side seam open to act as a door.
Take the hoop and put it inside the curtains.
Use binder clips to hold the hoop in place.
- Weave the rope through the binder clips and bring them to a central point at the top
It may take some experimentation to make the hooped tent to hang straight.
- Find a branch or overhang where you can hang your tent
It could be under a tall deck for example.
- Put more binder clips on your tent pegs
Pound the tent pegs into the ground around the base of your tent.
- Put a chair inside your tent and enjoy an afternoon of breezy, insect-free reading
For smaller children, you could put a towel, blanket or table cloth on the ground and they have a tent where they can play.