Let your imagination soar as you create your own giant insect.
What You Need
- Cardboard (cereal box, poster board, manila folder)
- Egg carton
- Paint or felt pens
- Scraps of black and white paper
- Colored pipe cleaners
- Tape or glue
- Jar (optional)
What You Do
- Catch a Bug
Catch an insect and look closely at it in a jar (or find a picture of one you like in Ranger Rick).
- Cut Out Shapes
- egg-carton cups for the main body
- paper circles for eyes (Try white ones with smaller black ones placed on top.)
- cardboard shapes for wings, upper legs, or other extra features
- Color Your Bug
Add color if you want, using paint or felt pens.
- Assemble Bug
Glue or tape the parts together. Glue or tape on pipe cleaner legs and antennas.
Ranger’s Note: If you caught an insect, let it go where you found it after it’s done modeling.
PHOTOS BY STEVE BROADDUS; INSECTS BY JUDITH MOFFAT; IDEA BY JANET SCHMIDT