Here’s a treat that looks like it came from the salty sea!
What You Need
- 1 egg
- 4 cups of flour
- 2 tablespoons of coarsely ground salt
- ¾ teaspoon of regular salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons of sugar
- 1 ½ cups of warm water
- 1 package of active dry yeast
What You Do
- Make the Dough.
- Stir the sugar and regular salt in the water. Then gently mix in the yeast. Allow the mixture to sit for five minutes until the yeast begins to foam.
- Slowly stir in the flour a little at a time until a dough forms. Knead the dough until it is elastic (about two minutes).
- Form the Dough Into a Sea Star.
Break off a piece of the dough and roll it into a long rope. Cut the rope into 2-3” long pieces. Put five pieces together to make a sea-star shape. Place the pretzels on a cookie sheet.
- Brush the Pretzels With Egg.
Lightly beat the egg in a bowl. Brush the beaten egg over the pretzels using a pastry brush. Sprinkle each pretzel with coarsely ground salt.
- Bake the Pretzels.
Bake pretzels at 400° F for 25 minutes.
What’s so super about sea stars? Find out here!