Sometimes it is hard to do both homework and outdoor time – so why not combine the two?
What You Need
- School supplies, such as containers with pens, pencils, rulers, scissors, tape, glue and erasers
- Healthy snacks
What You Do
- Set up an inviting spot to do homework outside.
We make our deck table more fun for homework by adding an inviting tablecloth.
- To allow the umbrella to come up through the tablecloth, we cut a hole
This pins show where we needed to put the hole.
- To keep the edges of the tablecloth from flying up, we put elastic on the corners
Here they are pinned, but we sewed on the elastic – voila! We made a “table cape!”
- Then we set up our homework materials outside on the table
You might need rocks or bins filled with pencils to keep the papers from flying around.
- Providing snacks when they get home from school can help with concentration
Plus you get a science lesson – the girls noticed the star in the core of the apples!
- Another way to get some outside time after school starts is to have dinner outside.
While the temperatures are still warm, have a picnic.
Or when the weather gets colder, bundle up for a grill-your-own night.