What You Need
- your favorite kind of rolled cookie dough
- cake icing (You can buy this in a tube or make it at home by mixing 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of water to form a thick paste. Add more water if necessary.)
- an assortment of candies, pretzels, crackers, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, sprinkles
What You Do
STEP 1: Shape Dough Into Balls
- Open the roll of cookie dough and shape it into balls about the size of large gumballs. (Cookie dough gets bigger and flatter as it bakes, so don’t make the balls too big.)
- Put three balls of dough together to make insects.
STEP 2: BAKE COOKIES
Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and put your insects on it. Bake according to the directions on the package.
STEP 3: Add Decorations
After removing the cookies from the oven and while they’re still warm, press in the eyes, wings, legs and decorations. Be careful—the pan will still be hot! As the cookies cool, they will harden and the decorations will stick.
If you want to add more decorations after the cookies have cooled, you can use the icing to stick them on.
STEP 4: Be Creative
Make all kinds of different insects—be creative and have fun!
- For colored insects, roll the dough in colored sprinkles before baking.
- M&Ms, jelly beans, nuts, or seeds make good eyes.
- Chow mein noodles make good legs.
- Crackers, cookies or dried banana chips can be used as wings.