Are you ready for your own “best-ever” camping adventure? Sign up for this year’s Great American Campout! You can participate in your yard or another nearby place. Make it extra memorable with some of these outdoor activities:
- Before dark, conduct a nature scavenger hunt. Bugs, leaves, seeds, rocks, flowers, animal tracks—what treasures will you find? Divide into teams and keep a list of cool discoveries.
- At dusk, watch for fireflies. If you spot one flashing, try blinking a flashlight in the same pattern of flashes. Will the firefly blink back? Or even come closer?
- Listen to the chorus of night sounds. Can you hear frogs trilling, crickets chirping, katydids calling, or owls hooting?
- Stargaze. When it’s really dark, lie down and look up at the stars. See if you can find some familiar constellations. Or make up your own—and stories to go with them.
- Wake up the next morning and watch the sun rise.