Your child will love waking up to eat cereal that he or she helps to make.
What You Need
- 1/2 cup quick barley (or another 1/2 cup of rolled oats)
- 1/2 cup of dried fruit such as apricots, apples, blueberries, cranberries, raisins, or mangos
- Gummy worm (optional)
- Milk, or plain or vanilla yogurt
- 1/3 cup of chopped nuts or seeds such as almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, or walnuts (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- Honey or sugar to taste (optional)
What You Do
- Mix Dry Ingredients
Pour the oats and barley into a mixing bowl. Stir in the dried fruit. You can use one type of fruit or combine two or more for a total of 1/2 cup. Add the nuts if desired. Stir everything together until well mixed. Store the cereal in an airtight container.
- Serve Cereal
Serve the cereal in a bowl and top with milk. You can add a small amount of sugar or a teaspoon of honey to sweeten it. You can also serve the cereal with plain or vanilla yogurt. Fresh fruit makes a nice addition, too. For a warm cereal, heat the milk in a microwave before adding to the bowl.
- Top With Gummy Worm
For extra fun, add a gummy worm to the bowl for your child to find. In this case the early bird really does get the worm!