Investigate the many shapes and sizes of snowflakes with a magnifying glass.
What You Need
- Black construction paper
- Magnifying glass
What You Do
- Freeze paper.
Freeze a piece of black construction paper.
- Gather snow.
Let some snow fall on the paper.
- Look at the flakes with a magnifying glass.
Here are some cool facts about snowflakes:
- Snowflakes are made up of tiny bits of ice called crystals.
- These crystals grow around tiny bits of dust in the clouds.
- When these crystals stick to each other, they become snowflakes. Some snowflakes have as many as 200 crystals.
- Snowflakes come in many different shapes. Some look round like plates; others look pointy like stars.