Your child’s reading vocabulary will soar with the help of this feathered friend.
What You Need
- 1 large, empty juice can
- 1 clothespin
- 2 yellow feathers
- Scraps of yellow and black felt
- Green washable paint
- 1 paintbrush
- 1 sheet of white paper
What You Do
- Paint Can
Paint the juice can green.
- Assemble Bird
- Glue a clothespin in place for the beak.
- Glue on two yellow felt circles (the size of quarters) for eyes. Inside each eye, glue on a smaller black felt circle to form a pupil. Glue on two feathers for wings.
- Make Word Sheets
Cut the sheet of paper into about eight pieces. Write a new reading word on each piece.
- Play with Your Word Bird
- Clip one word in the bird’s beak. Place the other words in the can. The clipped word is the Word of the Week. Help your child learn to read it, write it, and use it in sentences.
- After a week, place the word in the can and select a new word from the can to go in the bird’s beak. From time to time, review the words in the can that your child has already learned.