In this simple game, children take turns reeling in matching colors, letters, and numbers.
What You Need
- 10 index cards
- Round magnet (the kind with a hole in the middle)
- Construction paper (different colors)
- Paper clips
- Fish pattern
- Piece of blue poster board
- 2′ string
What You Do
- Download and Print the Pattern
Download and print the fish pattern.
- Make the “Pond”
Cut the poster board to look like a pond.
- Make the “Fishing Pole”
Tie the string to the stick. Tie the magnet to the other end of the string.
- Cut Out Fish
Cut 10 fish out of construction paper using the pattern. Put a paper clip on each fish.
- Write on Index Cards
Write a different number on each fish, and put all the fish in the pond. Write the corresponding words for those numbers on the index cards.
- Play the Game
Children take turns picking an index card. Then they use the fishing pole to “fish” for the corresponding number.
- NOTE: You can write letters, colors, or other words on the cards and fish. The matching game remains the same.